Soccer socks are a big deal for players; though it may sound like a foreign language for the rest, soccer players have specific needs, and their socks must adhere to certain requirements. So, if you are looking for soccer socks, you are in the right place because we understand soccer socks are not just any socks.
Soccer players need to think about comfort when choosing their socks; they also need to keep in mind such socks will help them prevent blisters. In addition, they search for socks that can offer performance as well. So choosing just any pair of socks would not do.
As you can imagine, when choosing the right soccer socks, it becomes important to know things like the material of the socks, sizes, cuts, style, and even technology. But do not worry, there are many varieties in the market to choose from, and today we’ll be telling you about some of them to make your search a lot easier.
How to wear soccer socks?
However, it depends on each player; however, players generally wear their socks completely covering their shin guards for match play. The reason why oftentimes, your shin guard dictates the way you wear them.
For guards with built-in ankle protection, players pull their socks over them. For guards without ankle protection, players put on their socks and cleats before positioning their shin guard. Socks are then pulled up and over the guard.
Some players may also prefer to wear their match socks pulled up over the knees, while others like to fold them down. It comes down to their style and personal preference.
How to choose the right fit?
You may found soccer socks in varied sizes, from extra small up to extra large. Each brand has a slightly different definition of each size, and each size will fit a certain range of shoe sizes.
Choosing the right fit provides both comfort and protection. Manufacturers always include a Feet Size Chart for their soccer socks based on shoe size.
How to care for soccer socks?
It would help if you washed your soccer socks regularly after every use. The environment inside your cleats is perfect for bacteria to grow, and you don’t want to be wearing smelly and dirty socks.
Now, when it comes to the actual washing, what you want to do is to follow your socks manufacturer’s washing and drying instructions; this will prevent your socks from shrinking and their color from fading away.
Things to keep in mind
The best material for soccer socks are fabrics blended from artificial materials such as polyester, spandex, and nylon.
In addition to being much better at staying in place, these materials also often contain moisture-wicking properties. Soccer socks that are made of artificial materials also usually contain antimicrobial properties that will be able to prevent germ and bacteria growth.
There are also socks made from natural materials like cotton and wool, which are warmer, possibly more comfortable. However, these thicker materials represent an issue for players who may lose some of the feels for the ball.
Soccer socks commonly come in different lengths:
Over the knee/calf soccer socks
These are considered the most ‘formal’ and are required to be worn on match days. This type of socks is made to have a secure fit around the calf not to roll down and interrupt play.
Crew soccer socks
Crew socks are not as long as calf socks. These socks sit around the mid of the calf, allowing the player to have more flexibility. These are usually worn during training so players can try out different skills.
This type of soccer sock is typically cut a few inches beneath the knee. Trouser socks also cover the entire calf and help keep the shin guards in place.
This is an important factor because uncomfortable rubs may lead you to hobble around the field.
The soccer socks that will prevent blisters are specially designed with advanced technologies that will help you stay blister-free, so make sure that you keep an eye out for this.
That’s right! Your soccer socks can also help you in preventing moisture from building up. These special sweat-stopping technologies will not only help maintain your feet nice and cool but will also prevent odors.
This Adidas Rivalry Soccer over the calf socks has everything from comfort to durability. The Adidas Rivalry Soccer OTC Sock offers to keep your feet dry and cool, thanks to the uniquely engineered Adidas Climalite moisture-wicking fabric. These are made from Polyester (93%), Spandex (4%), and Nylon (3%).
- Made from the Adidas Climate moisture-wicking technology
- Players are well-cushioned for protection against impact
- Ankle and arch compression provides additional stability
- Available in sizes for men, women, and youth
- Available in basic solid colors
- Perfect fit
- It doesn’t roll down
- Sizes can be confusing.
This pair of socks are breathable and has enough cushioning for protection against impact and optimum comfort.
- Padding for lightweight protection.
- Relieves cleat pressure with comfort where it counts.
- It offers a fully contoured snug fit through the forefoot, heel, and ankle.
- The fabric pulls away sweat to help keep you cool and comfortable.
- Low-profile ankle and Achilles
- Zonal cushioning
- Close-fit rib system
- Too expensive
- Calf area too tight
The material is sweat-wicking to keep your feet comfortably dry at all times. It features mesh panels, arch compression, and a secure fit. It’s right/left specific design offers a comfortable fit.
- Made from comfortable cotton blend fabric
- Dri-fit fabric (sweat-wicking) keeps feet always dry
- Keeps feet dry
- Arch compression for maximum protection
- Strengthened heel and toe areas for durability
- The foot comes with a cushion terry foot for extra protection against impact.
- Dri-FIT fabric
- Durable construction
- Keeps feet cool
- Machine washable
- The socks tend to be slippery
- It does not offer blister protection
The Traxion premier sock was designed with the requirements of elite athletes in mind. The cushioned Traxion areas of the foot and Achilles help increase grip and stability within your shoe and protect your impact. The Climalite yarns help wick moisture away from the body, and Climacool mesh channels promote breathability.
- Machine wash in the cold with like colors
- Traxion areas of the foot and Achilles increase grip and stability within your shoe.
- Cushioned foot and ankle protect from impact, and arch and ankle support provide added stability.
- Climalite moisture-wicking yarns help keep your feet cool and dry
- Formotion ‘left/right-specific fit footbed provides added comfort
- Machine wash
- Don’t have grip rubber-like material on the bottom.
The team speed II soccer sock offers a clean, classic look on the front and an updated graphic stripe on the back of the sock.
- Machine wash in the cold with like colors
- Lightweight construction for a close fit and excellent ball touch
- Moisture-wicking yarn keeps feet dry from sweat
- Mesh channels promote breathability
- Traxion pods at the heel and toe provide cushioning and protection
- Targeted arch and ankle compression for a secure fit and added support
- Targeted Traxion
- Cushioned pods
- Classic 3-stripe textured design
- Breathable mesh
- Poor durability
- Sizing is confusing